Monday 15 June 2009

Bicycle Commute: Second Impressions

Today I rode my bicycle to office for the second time. I wanted to do it last Friday itself but because of the trip to Hampi, things didn't go as planned.

Both the onward and the return rides were blissful. While going, I started early (6:30 AM) and reached office in half an hour. While coming back, there was a slight drizzle and although it took more time, it was a pleasant ride despite the traffic. The only casualty on the way back was my backpack, which got all muddy -- yes, I do have mudguards; maybe they are defunct.


Figure 1, Really Muddy Targus Backpack

This time around there were a bunch of things which I forgot to pack while commuting. So I have gone and made my own bicycle commute checklist to prevent future blunders.



Figure 2, Rohit's Bicycle Office Commute Checklist
(your mileage may differ)


Other Notes:
  1. Speed breakers are your friends -- it's fun to jump over them without slowing down.
  2. I feel much taller than rest of the traffic when on my cycle.
  3. There's no better feeling than when you switch gears; the chain snaps to the correct sprocket; the pedals move in sync with your feet -- neither too fast, nor with too much resistance.
  4. I feel much lighter and in more control when I'm on a cycle than when on a motorbike.

0 comments: